Learn how to combine IUI and fertility acupuncture to increase the success of conception.
IUI (Intrauterine Insemination) is a popular choice for many reasons. When combined with acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine, chances for conception increase by around 26%.
“When combining IUI with fertility acupuncture and TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) treatments, 65.5% of the test group were able to conceive, compared with 39.4 percent of the control group, who received no herbal or fertility acupuncture therapy,” according to a study from Tel Aviv University. That’s a 26% greater chance of conception when combining acupuncture with western fertility treatments. Patients using IUI can rack up a pretty sizable bill as more inseminations cost more money. A 26% greater chance of conception with each insemination could save money, time, and a lot of stress and frustration.
IUI is a procedure often used when the male partner is sterile or has a low sperm count. In those cases, IUI is done with donor sperm. It’s also used by women conceiving without a male partner. Some couples who’ve had difficulty getting pregnant choose IUI to enhance their chances of pregnancy. The insemination is done with the insertion of a thin, flexible tube directly into the woman’s uterus to deposit the sperm. Prior to insertion, sperm are usually washed and concentrated. Concentration of sperm means the most active, healthy sperm are chosen to be inseminated. The washing is done to prevent severe uterine cramping.
IUI may also be referred to as artificial insemination (AI). The main difference is where the sperm is deposited for conception. So, you definitely want to ask where the sperm will be inseminated if the doctor refers to the procedure as AI. With some AI, the sperm will be placed in the vagina or cervix during ovulation. That means there is more travel required by the sperm to get into the fallopian tubes. With IUI, the sperm is placed in the uterus during ovulation.
Why Fertility Acupuncture with IUI?
You already know the statistic: 26% increased chance of conception when using fertility acupuncture and TCM with IUI. Here are some other potential benefits:
- IUI can often lead to conception without fertility medications. Fertility medications can cause uncomfortable side effects, like nausea, bloating, headache, blurred vision, and hot flashes.
- If using medications with IUI, fertility acupuncture enhances the results by increasing the health of your circulation helping your body better utilize the medications. Acupuncture can also help minimize side effects of the medicine.
- IUI is less expensive and less invasive than In-vitro Fertilization (IVF). IVF is a much more involved procedure that takes more time than IUI, because it involves, at the very least, removing the woman’s eggs and fertilizing them before insemination. (More on IVF combined with acupuncture).
- IUI success can be influenced by a woman’s age due to egg quantity and quality issues as well as statistically based increased risk of miscarriage with age. Acupuncture and TCM can help increase egg quantity and quality with or without the addition of Western fertility medications.
- Fertility acupuncture may also help when the lining of the uterus is too weak to maintain a pregnancy. A weak uterine lining is a big contributor to chronic miscarriages.
- Fertility acupuncture releases endorphins in the brain, which help regulate the menstrual cycle.
- Fertility acupuncture reduces stress, which balances the pituitary, hypothalamus, and reproductive glands. When these are balanced, your hormones and ovulatory cycle are more balanced, so you’re more likely to conceive.
In addition to fertility acupuncture treatment, there are Chinese herbs with minimal or no side effects that help improve hormone function, increase egg quality and quantity, and boost your overall well-being.
Read more about how acupuncture increases fertility and healthy pregnancies.